Vegan Recipe – Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup vegetable or coconut oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 3 tbs lemon zest
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh blackberries to garnish.
Basic Lemon Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 to 3 tbs non dairy milk
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit
- Generously grease pan with vegetable shorting and then dust with flour. Be sure to get in all the edges and crevices.
- In a large bowl mix dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour into pan. Fill ¾ of the way full.
- Tap pan on counter to release any air and fill all creases.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Turn cake over onto a cake plate.
- Wait until cool to frost.
- Garnish with fresh Blackberries.
For the glaze:
- Whisk together sugar, lemon juice and salt.
- Slowly add in non dairy milk, ½ tsp at a time, until frosting is thick and creamy.
- Frosting should be really thick like molasses.
- Using the whisk or spoon, drop over the top of cake. It should slowly pour over the sides.
- Let rest and frosting will harden.