Vegan Recipe – Vegan Strawberry Tart with Whole Grain Crust Recipe
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup dairy-free margarine (Kim uses Earth Balance)
- ⅓ cup non-hydrogenated shortening (or additional margarine)
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon Ener-G egg replacer
- 1¾ cup whole grain spelt flour (or white spelt, or unbleached all-purpose flour)
- 3-4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and slices
- about 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- about 2 tablespoons shelled and chopped lemon roasted (or plain) pistachios
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the sugar, margarine and shortening.
- Whisk together the water and egg replacer in a small bowl until the powder is completely dissolved. Add this to creamed mixture and thoroughly combine, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch tart pan and press dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. You may need to wet your hands if the dough is too sticky. Arrange the sliced strawberries on top of the dough and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the edges start to turn golden. (If you use spelt flour, the baking time may be a bit longer).
- Turn the broiler on. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar over the top of the tart and broil until the sugar is mostly melted. Make sure to watch it so the strawberries don’t burn. Cool, and sprinkle the chopped pistachios on top. Remove from pan to slice. This will keep in the refrigerator for a couple days.